Geff Gershoff Remembers Winning 1st Gordon Cup!
Two weeks ago TLC posted about my children, Evan and Jordan, as legacy campers. Today, I’m here to tell you a little bit about me and some of my favorite memories of camp. My name is Geff and I work for FOX News Channel managing their breaking news affiliate desk. I am a former TLC camper, and a father to 2 current TLC campers.
I chose to send Evan and Jordan to Timber Lake because there is no other camp on the planet that I would want my kids to go to – TLC is amazing!!! I know that my kids get as much out of TLC as I did when I was a camper. I get a huge smile and sense of satisfaction that both Evan and Jordan love camp as much as I did.
My kids and I agree that we all get that funny feeling in your stomach when you are going up the hill and see Saddle Mountain. Not only did I feel that way as a camper, but I still get that same feeling when I go visit my children on Visiting Day. It’s remarkable how the excitement and anticipation stays with you year after year from childhood into adulthood. I just can’t get enough of TLC!
TLC has given me more memories than I can count. However, one of my most cherished, favorite memories from camp was winning the very first ever Gordon Cup (I was on that team and yes, I am that old!!!) But there is so much more about TLC!!!
I will always remember:
- not being able to sleep the morning before getting on the bus to camp because I was so excited
- bunk 6 like it was yesterday… (My first year in 1981 – go White Romans even though we lost!)
- Sy Friday night stories (SBS)
- losing to the Dorm in the Upper camp / dorm basketball game by 1 point.
- Jay catching me on raids
- Hulk Hogan and all the TLC breakouts
- Liz Schwack banging her fists at Color War saying “have – share – feel”
- Doug Schwartz
- scoring 100 points on the boys lower basketball court
- the Gordon Cup – TLC first championship banner
- the weight room and the indoor pool
- white water rafting in Maine
- the mighty Esopus River
- champion sweatshirts and tie dye
- my counselors: Jay & Neil Canell, Jimmy Charmatz, Craig Rosenberg, Novi, Sander Dubovy, Smitch, Mo Mellman & Jack Satz.
I will never forget:
- my best friends in the world – Andy Kessler and Josh Rothfeld – both from TLC
- all the girls… (Am I allowed to say that?)
- Syd and Artie
- Adrian the karate guy
- crying on the last day of camp – every summer
- knowing that 10 months is too long to wait for next summer to begin
I will never forget and will always remember that some of the best years of my childhood were spent at Timber Lake Camp!!!